Mini Motor Tech

A look back to what got us here.

Moderator: The Law

Mini Motor Tech

Postby chaparrAL » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Here I will share what I know about these very small motors.
The old style closed box frame, carbon brush endbell Mabuchi motors we are used to are nowhere to be found. They now have "precious metal" brushes or whiskers as someone has dubbed them. These motors are based on the original HT 50 motor from 1970 or so.18 mm wide, 19mm long , 9.5 tall, and weighs around 11 grams. These I now call "Big Block" motors There are some out there with open "strap ' frames with carbon brushes like an the modern A/FX car. They require being drilled and tapped because they are made of aluminum, to retained in the frame.
chaparrAL
POS Posting Professional

Re: Mini Motor Tech

Postby chaparrAL » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:28 pm

midwest 2013.jpg

These motors obviously offer size, placement, and weight advantages over the old big block motors.
chaparrAL
POS Posting Professional

Re: Mini Motor Tech

Postby chaparrAL » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Note the car above is wired with no choke resistor. This is an all out race car for racing in the Midwest Gravity Unlimited Series. The race segments are usually 2 or 3 minutes long. Run this car with no choke too long and the motor will slow and eat itself up. It all depends on how much track power. how heavy the car, gearing. and if the track is a snake pit or a freeway. I have had one go bad in as little as 5 minutes in continuous testing on 19 volts.
Man! it was fast! :peelout:
chaparrAL
POS Posting Professional

Return to Vintage Slot Forum